Sunday, August 20, 2006

A new friend

"He who laughs, lasts."

-Mary Poole

recently met the most adorable Italian girl…It all started when I was doing a sort of break dance/sign language in Spain to order a " Bocadillo" meaning a "sandwich"…the problem was not the sandwich itself but what was IN the sandwich…

Since this was the land of "jamon" meaning "ham"( and since you all probably know..we do not eat ham) I really needed to know what I was eating... you might order mussels in this country and have sprinkles of ham on it instead of lemon…This is how fanatic they were about it!!!!…

Anyway the poor girl saw I was struggling so she tried to talk to the waiter for me…between three words of Italian and a word of Spanish…I ended up with a mozzarella and cheese sandwich…hmmm…Was better off with my break dance….But this " bocadillo" moment turned to a beautiful friendship…

We both were from the same astrological sign ..were born in the same date (but different years) and thought aquarius men were the worst…(sorry to all aquarius men out there…but you guys do suck at relationships..good friends though!!!…) This is how easy female bonding is…( and how short it lasts)..

Anyway she had one of those feminine male names..That only Italians can get away with…Carlotta instead of charles…Georgia instead of George…Valentina instead of valentino…(just made that one up)…But you get my point..

After the Italian girl comes the Italian crowd…How do a single traveling 25 year old girl got to know the whole Italian society in a foreign city…???? Don't know…. But damn the girl has skills!!!!:)..

We do (as Saudis and I guess as middle easterns) when gone to a foreign country put ourselves in "Shilas" a slang word for "groups"…But the process doesn't come easily it starts with a lot of staring as you walk by…A lot of whispering…a lot of guessing of which part of the middle east you are (a decisive point to be accepted or not.. But Saudis are accepted usually everytime..hmmm maybe because they are very superficial in their relationships with others..Thus a bit snobbish..Thus wanted!!!!)
There is also a lot of who you are…and how you are dressed…A lot of your personal status.. and a lot of how many times they saw you on the same street (since in each city there is a street or a place where our khaliji friends meet and look at each other…NO…not talk to each other…NO… not to know each other…Just to look at each other and show each other off…
example: Champs elysees: Haagen Daz in Paris…Knightsbridge: Tramps or Selfridges in London…Marbella : Puerto Buenos in Spain..ect)…

When all is said…done and known…The approaching begins…you might end up with a really fun "shila" to party with…or bump into your school friends or cousins that you haven't seen back in the country (cause you didn't care) and hang out with them (cause another day with your baby brother will lead you to suicide)… or get a crap romantic experience to just prove to your girlfriends you did something different this summer and released your inhibitions ..

At the end of the day you are better off with your parents' routine…

Back to my story…The Italians were fun and after the world cup they were funner…Although it was very clear to all that I was pro- Zizou ( if we can call them the French team… since half of them are arabs and the other Jamaicans)

Anyway The thing that surprised my Italian friend regardless of the non-drinking issue…( being a good representative of my Islamic country..I made a little white lie saying that it is normal and that most of the Saudis didn't drink…) should I laugh now…or keep it for later...hmmm…now….hahahahahahaha 

So like I was saying the thing that surprised my Italian friend was believe it or not…my physical appearance…Not considering myself a bomb but a girl with very typical Saudi Najdi features…(I have very cute dimples when I smile though : Masha says modestly)… I started thinking about the million Saudi drop dead gorgeous friends I have.. and what would she say if she saw them!!!!!!! Nevertheless The girl was amazed…which made me think did she ever see a saudi girl????... or a middle eastern girl for that matter???..negative…She was one of those rare Italian girls that never interacted with khalejis …and the closest she got to us was from the media…

Ok that explains it… I don't know if you ever thought about it but did you ever see a good looking Arabic man or woman in western TV or in the news.. Everybody knows that the most beautiful men and especially women are arabs..Since the beginning of time…But did you ever see one in the western news…????? There is only images of misery...war… Bearded man…old women.. and poor people....

Like in Africa…The most famous international models are ethopians or nigerians … but only famine… naked babies..and black flies are shown on the news…
The truth is the most miserable…stressed….out of work…depressed people are in the west but that doesn't show and even if it does they choose the most respectable and well presented one to talk about it…Media is an art.. a whole strategy of planning and showing..Like photography…painting…and sculpture…think about it…

20 comments:

saif said...

Umm...

What's wrong with bearded men?

SunShine said...

Lovely post Masha again =) I love interacting with people from different countries too. It is always nice to learn yet another new thing and shine more positive light on KSA!

I'll also answer Saif and my opinion doesn't not necessarily represent Mashael or anyone else...just me.

There is nothing wrong with bearded men, however, don't expect western people find it attractive because the classic handsome feature of men there is smooth-shaven. On the same note, don't expect a typical muslim girl to find a long beard that attractive when she is still young (14-29). There also exceptions for every rule.

Yes, it is sunna, but I believe it is supposed to compliment an attitude and a personality (quiet, wise, pious) which really only comes after a man is 30, don't you think?

That secure, settled down and worldly attitude, which women look for when they mature, comes only when men age as well.

So, I respect a person's passion to follow all sunna's but I really think as a young man, keep it quite short and let it grow longer as you mature =)

saif said...

There is only images of misery...war… Bearded man…old women.. and poor people....

Sunshine,

The reason I asked her the question was 'cause I felt that "Bearded man"(sic) didn't really go along with the rest of the things she mentioned. I understand that she was basically trying to point out the stupidity in the way the media creates stereotypes of people, but the way she has phrased it makes it sound like there's something seriously wrong with men having beards. Needless to say, there isn't. Beardos rock, and you know it.

I am more convinced by the scholars who have opined the beard to be fardh (obligatory) for Muslim men, and that's why I think it's right for young Muslim men to sport neat and well-maintained beards. And whether members of the opposite sex find it attractive or not shouldn't really matter (as long as you don't deliberately make yourself look hideous), 'cause it's really a question of priorities. But that, is just my opinion. :)

Raven said...

I agree with Saif, Beards do rock, and maintenance is crucial..

As for Masha's observation, I agree, the power of advertising and the media is something I love analyzing especially here in the US where advertisements are so well done their effect on people is immediate..

The news and western media specifically does have a tendency to feature and focus on all that is gruesome and not attractive in anything Muslim related (listen to the background music, and the phrases they use, even for supposedly pro-Arab/Muslim stuff)..

And if it's anything concerning them, it's well organized, peaceful and full of good looking ppl..

Masha,
2 sidenotes:

1- Your claim that Arabs are the prettiest ppl in the world may not rest well with your international audience.. (even though I believe you :P)

2- This cracked me up (no offense intended), but the things you were talking about are "dimples", not dumbbells (weights)..

As for majority of Saudis abroad not drinking, let me add mwwwwwahwhahahwhahhahaaa

RvN

SunShine said...

Oh yes, the power of the western media. They overwhelm your senses to make sure the message that they want comes across. There was a very good link to an article in one of the blogs about that. If I find it, I'll post it here.

Ok, I got your point Saif. True, Mashael's choice of words leads the reader to believe that 'bearded men' are one of the 'negative' images the western media uses. I guess she is right as well. With the proper propaganda(music and associated subjects) bearded men have negative connotations now.

I realize your intention now wasn't to debate the attractiveness of beards, but their use as a negative symbol. I agree with that! For me, it has always been a 'fatherly' symbol. Something that inspires respect and kindness as well as piety.

However, since the subject I came up, I disagree about not putting the feelings of the significant other as a priority -at least in the beginning. Some girls look beyond that, some don't. It is fantastic to have that genuine attitude to put Islamic furood before everything else, but I don't think that a beard and prayer, for example, should be put on the same scale. You definately never compromise if there is an issue regarding prayer, for example. But if the issue is regarding beards? There is some room there for leniency, don't you think?

This discussion is inspiring =) Yes, to each his/her own opinion and beliefs of whether something is wajib or sunna.

lol, raven I was going to write the same thing about 'dimples' but by the time I got to the of the comment, I forgot!

HA! Entertainment said...

"1- Your claim that Arabs are the prettiest ppl in the world may not rest well with your international audience.. (even though I believe you :P)"

yes, saudi girls are gorgeous, I've been in Riyadh couple of years ago, I know some of them, they're so beautiful.
But well, I think I Eastern Europe women are prettier :p

HA! Entertainment said...

btw lovely post, masha. =)

saif said...

Salam alaekum Sunshine.

When I said "members of the opposite sex", I meant members of the opposite sex and not the significant other. :)

However, since the subject I came up, I disagree about not putting the feelings of the significant other as a priority -at least in the beginning.

I never said it wasn't important. Believe me, it is. But somethings are more important than others, and that's what fiqh is all about. If you hold the opinion that keeping a beard is fard/wajib, then you should try your best to act on it. I'm not saying it's as important as prayer, but it still has its own importance.

Leaving an obligatory act = sinning; and protecting yourself from sinning (i.e. displeasing Allah) always takes precedence over pleasing your spouse.

On the other hand, if you consider it to be a Sunnah, then as far as I can understand, there's no harm in leaving it. Fard > Pleasing your spouse > Sunnah.

Ofcourse, I might be wrong about this, and so it's always best to check with a scholar.

SunShine said...

Yes,it appears we both agree that furood take precedence over material preferences of this world =)

mashael alhajeri said...

wow...didn't know that facial hair was that important..lol..Thanks to all for commenting by the way..
Saif: nothing is wrong with bearded men ( as long as it is clean and well trimmed) but meant it in a negative way here...
Sunshine: hmmm..smooth-shaven isn't a favourite of mine...feels wrong and a bit feminine...I don't know about you.. but just can't resist a perfect gottie on a manly face..lol
Raven: thanks for pointing that out..lol...I guess I was thinking about my aerobic class at that time..lol..as for "other" beautiful women of course there are..like someguyfromplanet said..eastern europeans are really pretty so are russians..but don't you think there is that "je ne sais quoi" spice that makes arab women incridebly attractive and dangerously sensual..all the plastic chirgury in the world can't make up for it..we are born with it;):):):)lol..
keep on reading ..love u all x x x

sparkle hayter said...

Beards look good on some men, but they're itchy when kissing!

saif said...

Yes,it appears we both agree that furood take precedence over material preferences of this world =)

Oh, I didn't notice that at first. Sorry for reiterating my point.

!nsanity said...

you forgot the Grand Hyatt/Grand Cafe in Cairo as for places wheres saudis hang out and stare at each other.

never in my life have i seen that many ppl i know in one place.

BHCh said...

I've been to many places, but have not found a country where girls are NOT beautiful. However I found lots of countries where people think that everywhere else girls are not beautiful.

fire alarm said...

kewl post. I agree and hate the way 5aleejz have one place and one place only where they like to hangout and I have have a couple of posts in my blog about how much ihate the fact.

Its also true, saudiz seem to fit in with any other group of 5aleeji ppl, even the bahrainiz. For some odd reason you wouldnt see me hanging with someone from q8 or uae here in london, most are either bahriani or saudi and u guys can be a bit snobbish but i still love ya.

keep blogging :)

mashael alhajeri said...

sparkle: lol..who did you kiss???the cave man..lol..normally it is not:)
n$@n!ty: god your nick name is so impossible to pronounce..lol..do something about it..well never been there but thanks for the info so that I will never be there:):):)lol
abdulla: we love u too...lol..but believe it or not I enjoy all shilas...and have friends from all over..each one of them is special and has their own flavour:)so live a little..:)

FA$HIONISTA said...

Oh Ohhhhhhhh you forgot Sunset in L.A ufffffffff so many saudi's SO MANY
bas i kinda like it though lol . Nice bloggy

Unbiased Najdi said...

Mash'allah 3laik the way you write is really spontaneous in the best way, and bdoon ay mujamalah agoolha innah elsara7a its fun to read .. im really impressed .. you really know how to represent 'us'.
I just wish that more people know about your blog .. i will try to give your blogs address to some bloggers who would really be happy to read your blog .. if its ok with you.
Hopefully insh'allah i will be a regular reader in your blog .. rabbi y7afdhek insh'allah and good luck ..

mashael alhajeri said...

la brazilian bella: last time I went to L.A I was 12..so its kind hard to remember but thanks for the tip..:) x x x
unbiased najdi: thanks..that is very sweet of you..and sure you can show your friends and your friends's friends and the whole neighborhoud if you want too...keep on commenting and tell me what you think:) x x x

Anonymous said...

Your claim that Arabs are the prettiest ppl in the world may not rest well with your international audience..

Yes, it didn't go well with me for sure. You have to judge pretty by the individual and not by "country" and who neither of you have never seen all the people of the world. Stop being a "nationalist" pigs, or stop practicing the sunnah of Iblis. He too thought he was better then Adam(as).

Secondly, nothing wrong with the Beard for sure. At least they don't look like girly men, always in the mirrors.